Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day 108- August 16th: How to Be Good

So I spent some time reading today since I had to spend some time at the mechanics. I'm reading a book by Nick Horby called "How to Be Good" and I love it. Basically it's about this lady who decides she wants a divorce from her husband and this cause her to really examine her life in depth. Today I read a part where she is talking to her daughter Molly, about why she is sad. Molly talks about her Grandmas death and her mothers miscarriage (before she was even born) and a few other small things. And then the author writes this: "It seems to me now that the state of being human is dramatic enough for anyone; you don't need to be a heroin addict of a performance poet to experience extremity. You just have to love someone." And I sat and marveled at the simplicity of feeling. Something as simple as love can change your life forever. Sometimes for good, and sometimes for bad. And yet we are told to love every day, and we really should. I've been in love, both for the better and the worse, and to be quite honest the line between the two is so thin and minuscule that it doesn't matter, because, at least I loved. I put my heart of my sleeve, and though the bad times led to heart ache and the good times didn't lead to happily ever after, I still gained so much knowledge and happiness. Love is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment