Thursday, September 22, 2011

Day 145- September 22nd: My realization about teaching

As I'm sitting in my second half of class today, completely exhausted and overwhelmed from my plethora of information and long assignment list,  I come to this strange realization: I used to believe that being a good teacher was all about believing in your students. Give them enough encouragement and certainly eventually they will learn how to read or multiply. This could not be further from the truth. As time has gone on I have begun to doubt my ability to teach in any way, shape, or form. No matter how much encouragement you give a child they will still hear that voice in the back of their head that convinces them that they will fail.

This is the same voice that tells me I will fail as a teacher. No matter how many time I hear the words "you're going to be a great teacher someday" or "Your doing a great job at helping teach the students" I will never believe it until I actually succeed.

The only way to ensure students learn is to teach them. It is amazing how long it has taken me to get to this very simple and basic fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment